As someone who has a lot of art appreciation, I want to take a break away from fashion and explore a type of medium that caught my attention recently. I personally never had much of a care for graffiti art. I mean, I always thought it was pretty but it never grabbed my attention until recently. Banksy is an anonymous street artist with many famous works of art. Even if you don't recognize his name, you might know some of his art such as Balloon Girl.
Balloon Girl is probably his most recognizable work of art. I feel like I have always heard about Banksy but never cared too much about his work. maybe I was just too young to appreciate it but what sparked my curiosity was his most recent art piece he did in March of this year. I think what made me curious about him is that I haven't heard of him in a while. The last time I heard of him was in 2018 when he did his "Love is in the Bin" stunt. if you haven't seen it I will link the YouTube video to it. But, to sum up the stunt, he shredded his art piece after it sold at auction for over a million dollars.
Anyway, I was seeing a lot of new articles and hearing about his new art piece on social media and I still didn't get all the hype around Banksy. it wasn't until a YouTube video popped up on my feed giving a breakdown of Banksy's artwork and why people should care. if I am being completely honest, I don't remember much of what that video talked about, but it mentions a documentary that Banksy did called "Exit Through the Gift Shop". I decided to watch that documentary and let me just tell you, life-changing. I 100% get the hype behind Banksy.
The documentary is about Thierry Gruetta, who tried making a documentary about street art. He would follow a Bunch of street artists such as Banksy basically recording the entire process. he would record them for months and when he finally presented the project, no one liked it. that's when Banksy asked for all the footage and made a documentary about Thierry and his life.
The way this documentary is set up is so engaging for the watcher. I feel like what changed my opinion on Banksy is that this documentary made him feel human. Banksy is an anonymous artist and I think that makes it so much easier to limit him to just his art. His documentary makes the watcher feel like they are there with Banksy doing these types of stunts. I think he is a really interesting artist who makes thought-provoking art pieces. Now that I know more about Banksy, I have had a complete shift in my opinions about him and I am glad that I did.
.jpeg)



I love this post! I've always had a fascination about Bansky and who they are and if they are really a person. Great format and I love how well put together it is!
ReplyDeleteAbbie--Excellent finish to the blog project. You have interesting, relevant topics that are discussed very well, and you lay out a blog that is engaging and supported. Thank you for taking your writing seriously and continuously working to create connections with your audience. Great job. I hope you will keep blogging!
ReplyDeleteBanksy is an amazing artist! I remember learning about him in my Junior year of highschool, in the art program I was in I was very fortunate to have a teacher who was pushing more modern artists and real life problems into our art. Fun fact Banksy actually has many art pieces he has since "unclaimed" because he doesn't want people to profit on his art, that was the reasoning behind the painting he tried to destroy in your second pic! His art is made to be seen by all and to become criticisms of the way the world has become now.
ReplyDelete