Saturday, April 27, 2024

Blog 7 The Hashtag

   

image source: UNDP

 Hi y'all! clocking back in! I think that in my generation, we mainly saw the hashtag used on social media. Yes, we know it is a pound sign and it is used for phone numbers so chill old heads! Anyway, I think that our generation repurposed the use of the hashtag symbol and made it more fun for young people to use.

    Honestly, I have been loving hashtags recently. I think it is a really quick and easy to get your ideas across. That's not just my opinion either because an article from Medium agrees. It states that it is a big part of communicating efficiently on social media. Although I like hashtags, I don't really use them outside of commenting on people's Instagram or TikTok posts. For example, I don't want to comment something basic like a heart-eye emoji and a bunch of people already commented "gorgeous" and "pretty". So instead I will comment something like "#gorgeousgirl" or "#prettyprincess".  It is so much fun to do this and it feels like you put more time and effort into commenting.

    I also like hashtags because they help curate a perfect feed for you. As someone who enjoys fashion, I like looking at clothing and getting inspired to make things. It's fun to doom scroll on #fashion, #sewing, or even #clothing. It makes me feel productive even though I am lazy scrolling on my phone. The same article from Medium states that using hashtags is a great way to personalize your feed and also to connect better with similar communities. 

    Although the hashtag isn't a "new invention", the way we like to use it in the 21st century is to hype our friends up in comment sections and to personalize our social feeds. This modernized look of the pound sign makes me wonder how people in the future will use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #10 Banksy

     As someone who has a lot of art appreciation, I want to take a break away from fashion and explore a type of medium that caught my atte...