Saturday, February 17, 2024

Entry #1 Making Clothes

    Hello everyone, my name is Abbie and one of my favorite things to do is to make clothes. When I was in my freshman year of high school, I was gifted my first sewing machine. It was a beginner sewing machine and only had a couple of basic settings. It took me a while for me to understand how it works and get good at the techniques. The process of making clothes is a lot lengthier than I had originally expected. But over the years, I have gotten more experienced at the process, and I would like to share that with you.

T-shirt image from: basic t shirt - Search Images (bing.com) 

    To start, you will start with finding inspiration to get an idea of what you want to make. After that you will want to break down the parts and get measurements of what you want to make. As an example, I will be showing you a basic t-shirt. There will be 4 key components for a basic t-shirt: front, back, and 2 sleeves. Next, you would want to find the fabric you would want to use. For t-shirts it is always best to use a cotton polyester blend. After that, you would lay the fabric flat and either use a premade pattern or you can make your own pattern. you would use the pattern to help guide you when cutting out the pattern. After you cut out the pieces you need, you will use sewing pins to help hold your garment in place so it will be easier to sew. after you have it pinned, you can sew along where you placed your pins making sure to remove them before they hit the needle. The actual sewing part is easy but it's the step you need to take before that make it a little complex. After all of those steps you will have successfully made a basic t-shirt.

T-shirt pattern image from: basic t shirt pattern - Search Images (bing.com) 

    Although this process might not sound fun for most, I really do enjoy it. By learning the process of how to make basic clothing items, it has made me have a greater appreciation for the basics of sewing. By getting more experience in sewing I am able to make more intricate pieces. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Abbie! Of the all hobby posts that I saw here this one is probably one of the most unexpected, haha. The way how you describe the process of creating a t-shirt creates an atmosphere where readers just sit close to you and look at your work, a curious way to attract readers to your hobby!

    ReplyDelete

Blog #10 Banksy

     As someone who has a lot of art appreciation, I want to take a break away from fashion and explore a type of medium that caught my atte...